Digital-first journalist with 15+ years of experience in writing and editing for print and online publications and managing multimedia projects to engage and grow audiences across platforms. Expertise in untangling the transformation of complex institutions such as academia, health care and law. Adept at creative and nuanced exploration of institutional efforts toward diversity and inclusion. Deep interest in how organizations and industries are adjusting to meet the needs and demands of a changing society. And a passionate commitment to telling those stories in a way that meets audiences where they are.
POLITICO Since December 2020
- Manage a team of four reporters covering national education policy and politics at the k-12 and higher education levels.
- Edit the Morning Education newsletter, which publishes Monday through Friday.
- Strategize with editors from the POLITICO Magazine and White House teams to assign and edit stories on education and race.
The Hechinger Report—Senior Editor January 2018 – December 2020
- Wrote in-depth stories on inequality and innovation in higher education for this nonprofit news outlet that partners with The Washington Post, The New York Times, The Clarion Ledger and many other local and national publications.
Knight-Wallace Fellow at the University of Michigan September 2016 – April 2017
- Conducted independent research on how the University of Michigan and other top-tier research universities are increasing the number of Ph.D. faculty of color through data analysis, interviews and other research methods.
- Led workshops on covering diverse issues in journalism and writing first-person essays.
- Took rigorous graduate and undergraduate level classes on access and equity in higher education, black student activism, producing audio essays, creative writing techniques and other topics.
U.S. News & World Report—Reporter March 2013 – December 2017
- Wrote two or three stories per week on higher education with a focus on medical, law and business school admissions, as well as minorities in education.
- Edited between four and six stories per week on online education and paying for college.
- Strategized with coworkers to create and implement multimedia features for stories.
The Washington Post—Web Editor, Producer and Reporter May 2006 – March 2013
- Created and executed an online strategy that focused on local news for and about African Americans; managed social media platforms to engage readers and promote content.
- Wrote and edited news and feature stories on home decorating, fitness, parenting and local issues.
- Built multimedia news features related to national health, science and environment issues, including photo galleries, audio slide shows and videos. Edited and assigned web-only news projects.
- Wrote headlines and photo captions; produced online discussions for the Metro, Health, Local Living, Parenting and Education sections; did research for long-term projects and breaking news.
- Member of the National Association of Black Journalists
- Member of the National Press Club
- Judge for the Education Writers Association national awards, 2017 and 2018
- Invited speaker at Princeton University to discuss changes in medical school, 2014
- Judge for the Association of Alternative Newsmedia, 2014
- Member of the Board of Directors for the literary nonprofit, The Hurston Wright Foundation, 2013-2014
- Featured panelist for the Society of Professional Journalists’ 2014 Region 2 conference, 2014
- Member of the Education Writers Association and Online News Association, 2012 to present
- Collegiate scholar in the 2007 International Scholar Laureate Program Delegation on Journalism (Australia)
Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. M.P.S. in Journalism, December 2011.
University of Maryland, College Park, MD. B.A. in Journalism and minor in Spanish, December 2006.
Skills: Proficient in using Adobe Photoshop, Audacity and various content management systems; Strong familiarity with HTML.